Monday, June 23, 2008

 

Scott Douglas experiments with wikis

From author/librarian Scott Douglas' blog:

A few years ago, I wrote a little book called The Library Tree. It is a whimsical library folktale of sorts, and now I'm giving it away! Some of you have already bought and read this book, and I thank you for your support; there's still a couple bound copies left, and if you'd really like one, then go to my Web store and buy it...but honestly, I'd be happier if you simply download and read it free and told all your friends about it!

The book is also licensed under the Creative Commons; you can edit it, change it, rewrite it...basically do whatever you want to it. The only thing you can't do is sell it for profit.

Why am I doing this? Call it an experiment, really. Plenty of people have started non-fiction Wiki efforts. How many people have started wiki fiction books? And this is the perfect book to start it with--it's short and it's a folktale (and folktales are frequently changed as they're passed down through the ages).



I'm thinking this is a very cool idea. Watching it should be fascinating.

Read more about it at Scott's blog.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?